- aims and values -
Our vision is to improve society by strengthening the quality of relationships between people, starting with children in schools.
We will create our vision through the achievement of our mission, which is to help build ‘relational capital’ in schools by carrying out high quality research & consultancy activity, campaigning & fundraising, and engaging people in relational networks.
All of our work is informed and guided by the following values and principles:
- We embody many familiar and widely-accepted values, including honesty, justice, respect, care and nurture, and fundamental human freedoms.
- We recognise that human beings gain identity, meaning and wellbeing in the context of their relationships.
- Individuals tend to flourish when their relationships are good. Societies tend to flourish when their institutions enable relationships which are close, durable and fair enough to generate important relational assets like trust and loyalty.
- Where such ‘relational capital’ exists, a society will more effectively balance liberties with obligations, competition with cooperation, diversity with unity, privacy with transparency, rights with responsibilities, innovation with continuity, and individuality with community.
- We also place a priority on values that sustain relational capital, including forgiveness, reconciliation, and the teaching of relational skills.
- We are committed to a process of peaceful reform based on a fuller and more realistic view of what human beings are: not simply individuals, but individuals dependent on, and fulfilled through, their relationships.
- Relational thinking, more broadly, is inspired by the Judaeo-Christian tradition, and provides a point of agreement on social and economic progress between people of different faiths and none.
Our charitable objects are closely aligned with those of our host, the Relationships Foundation, namely to carry out applied research into the organisation and conduct of human relationships in personal and organisational life in schools by:
- Carrying out and commissioning research and consultancy projects
- Evaluating the results of research projects and applying the findings for public benefit, in particular through recommendations for changes in the leadership, practice and management of schools
- To communicate findings and outcomes to the schools sector, policy makers and the general public, and thereby further our aims by encouraging improved organisational and personal relationships.
We will work towards the achievement of these objectives through:
- The provision of traded and funded research and intervention services
- Campaigning on relevant issues
- Fundraising with organisations and individuals
- Engaging networks of supporters and schools
- Our research will demonstrate the efficacy of a more relational approach in the leadership and management of schools and in the practice of teaching, and generate evidence to show the positive impact of a relational approach on young people, their communities, and wider society
- Our intervention services will improve the quality of relationships in all schools touched by our work, and leave them with strengthened relational capital, capability and capacity
- Our campaigns will promote the importance of good relationships in the achievement of key educational and social outcomes to the UK and international schools sector
- Our networks of relational schools, relational teachers, and international partners, will influence both practice and policy
- Our fundraising activity will ensure financial health and sustainability, and further the achievement of our mission